Description of original award (Fiscal Year 2022, $250,000)
The Mansfield Division of Police Forensic Science Section DNA Laboratory is an agency that is responsible for analyzing evidential material associated with criminal investigations for local law enforcement agencies in Mansfield, Ohio and adjoining communities. The DNA Laboratory is composed of two (2) DNA Analysts and has been in operation since 2001. This laboratory is also one of seven Ohio NDIS laboratory participants. CODIS operations are performed on the local level with samples being uploaded to the State of Ohio for submission to NDIS.
Federal funding from this award will be used for the following goals:
1. Reduction of the forensic DNA case backlog, maintenance of limited turn-around time and the continued participation in CODIS by providing for personnel costs.
2. Utilize overtime to maintain current turnaround time and the technical review of a minimum of 30 DNA cases.
3. Providing registration and travel related costs associated with continuing education for DNA analysts.
4. Providing travel related costs associated with mandatory training for DNA grant award recipients.
5. Establish a contract for an external DNA Audit.
6. Purchase service contracts for DNA equipment including real time instrumentation, genetic analyzer, and mixture interpretation system.
The Mansfield Division of Police Forensic Science Section DNA Laboratory can expect to reduce the DNA case backlog by at least 100 cases by the end of the award period. Accurate records of cases completed, including number of samples analyzed, days to completion, CODIS upload and CODIS hits, will be maintained to determine the impact of the grant funding.