Description of original award (Fiscal Year 2022, $1,000,000)
Elgin Independent School District (EISD) is the Local Education Agency for the city of Elgin Texas. EISD is rural and is struggling with access to the mental health services available in larger cities. The purpose of the proposed STOP Project is to obtain additional resources and training needed for teachers, administrators, law enforcement, and stakeholders to reduce and prevent school violence, improve school climate, and educate students. Based on its current threat assessments and needs assessments EISD is requesting funding from STOP for these targeted activities and anticipated outcomes:
● The addition of two Climate Specialist/Violence Interrupters for elementary and secondary school students.
● Increased access to resources and services through Bilingual (Spanish and English) support of School Social Worker(s) and STOP Specialists.
● Increase contact with parents and the community through anonymous on-line reporting of threats of school violence.
● Increased collaborative active threat simulation drills and training between law enforcement and school staff at each campus.
● Increased physical security to critical infrastructure through technology (Anonymous Reporting and threat assessment).
● Increased time law enforcement personnel can be on campuses during the school day to provide support and enhance relationship building with younger students.
The service area is the city of Elgin and EISD. The beneficiaries are EISD students, staff, teachers,
parents, stakeholders, and law enforcement.