Through this opportunity, the Bureau of Justice Assistance seeks applications for funding to establish and administer a Corrections Officer and Staff Safety and Wellness Center (the Center).
The Center will develop and offer training and technical assistance to improve institutional and community corrections officer and staff safety and wellness, and will build upon the knowledge base of what works to continually improve the safety and wellness of officers and staff. The Center will serve as a repository of corrections policies, protocols, trainings, and innovations that work to improve corrections officer and staff safety, wellness, resilience, and retention. In addition, it will identify, prioritize, develop, and deliver trainings to improve safety, wellness, resilience, and retention. Further, since suicide by corrections officers occurs at a rate much higher than in the general population, the Center must consider and address suicide awareness and prevention. The Center may also work with corrections (institutional and community) to test new strategies, policies, and protocols.
- For profit organizations other than small businesses
- Native American tribal organizations (other than Federally recognized tribal governments)
- Nonprofits having a 501(c)(3) status with the IRS, other than institutions of higher education
- Nonprofits that do not have a 501(c)(3) status with the IRS, other than institutions of higher education
- Private institutions of higher education
- Public and State controlled institutions of higher education
Number of Awards: 1
Total Amount Awarded: $1,500,000