With this solicitation, the Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA) seeks proposals to strengthen the medical examiner-coroner (ME/C) system in the United States. Through this program, BJA will support grants in two purpose areas by:
- Supporting forensic pathology fellowships.
- Providing resources necessary for medical examiner and coroner offices to achieve and maintain accreditation.
Note: Proposals are expected to clearly identify the purpose area to which they are applying. If applicants are requesting funds from both purpose areas, a separate application must be submitted for each purpose area.
- City or township governments
- County governments
- For profit organizations other than small businesses
- Native American tribal governments (Federally recognized)
- Native American tribal organizations (other than Federally recognized tribal governments)
- Nonprofits having a 501(c)(3) status with the IRS, other than institutions of higher education
- Nonprofits that do not have a 501(c)(3) status with the IRS, other than institutions of higher education
- Private institutions of higher education
- Public and State controlled institutions of higher education
- Special district governments
- State governments
- Other: Certain qualified individuals
View answers to frequently asked questions associated with this FY 2022 opportunity.
Number of Awards: 13
Total Amount Awarded: $2,040,695
Accreditation from the International Association of Coroners & Medical Examiners (IACME) for the Dorchester County Coroner's Office
Alameda County Sheriff's Office Coroner's Bureau Pursuing/Maintaining National Association of Medical Examiners Accreditation
Broward County's Strengthening the Medical Examiner-Coroner System Program: Forensic Pathology Fellowships
Planning and Design of New Facility to Support the Growth, Development, and NAME Accreditation of the District One Medical Examiner Office
Proposal to Support Forensic Pathology Fellowships in the King County Medical Examiner's Office Using BJA Grant: Strengthening the Medical Examiner Coroner System Program
Strengthening the Forensic Pathology Fellowship Program at the West Tennessee Regional Forensic Center
Support to Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine Medical Examiner Office to Maintain Accreditation
- FY 2022 Intellectual Property Enforcement Program: Protecting Public Health, Safety, and the Economy from Counterfeit Goods and Product Piracy
- FY 2022 Improving Reentry Education and Employment Outcomes
- FY 2022 Preventing Violence Against Law Enforcement Officers and Ensuring Officer Resilience and Survivability (VALOR) Initiative