The BJA-supported Tribal Probation Academy is comprised of three one-week sessions, taking place March 30-April 3; May 4-8, and June 1-5, 2020, in Appleton, Wisconsin. Participants must attend all three sessions.
Upon completion of this academy, attendees will be able to:
- Employ effective communication techniques with probationers to improve safety and reduce incarceration
- Identify substance abuse, commonly used drugs, and the effects of drugs on behavior
- Apply practical knowledge when supervising high risk offender populations such as probationers with mental illness, domestic violence offenses, sex offenses, or alcohol and substance abuse
- Execute proper officer safety techniques and defensive tactics
- Demonstrate effective report writing techniques
- Apply motivational interviewing practices to promote behavior change
The following would benefit from this training:
- Community corrections officer
- Court system personnel
- Tribes/Tribal partners
Learn more about this training and how to register to attend.