With support from the Bureau of Justice Assistance, The Council of State Governments Justice Center is hosting a virtual Community of Practice (CoP) to aid agencies in learning how to preserve and strengthen the mental and physical wellbeing of their police-mental health collaboration (PMHC) staff. This CoP will be led by CSG Justice Center staff with featured presentations from former and current Justice and Mental Health Collaboration Program grantees.
Participants of the CoP should work for a law enforcement agency, mental health agency, or community organization that is either currently part of a PMHC or planning to start one. Applicants should also be planning to start wellness initiatives for their agency’s staff, improving upon the wellness initiatives the PMHC already has, or simply be interested in connecting with other PMHC staff across the country to discuss best practices for dealing with trauma and promoting staff resiliency.
Upon completion of the CoP, participants will:
- Understand why investing in PMHC staff wellness is important to long term program success.
- Be able to describe the difference between vicarious and secondary trauma that staff are likely to experience while working on PMHCs.
- Know best practices for starting up a wellness unit to support PMHC staff.
CoP sessions will occur on the following dates from 2:00 to 3:30 p.m. ET:
- Tuesday, August 29, 2023
- Monday, September 18, 2023
- Tuesday, October 24, 2023
To participate, complete and submit an application by Wednesday, August 7, 2023. A member of the CSG Justice Center staff will follow up with you no later than August 18.
If you have questions about this CoP or how to apply, contact Ethan Aaronson at [email protected].