Learn about resources available from the Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA) and BJA's VALOR Officer Safety and Wellness Initiative partners related to the prevention of suicide among law enforcement officers:
- National Consortium on Preventing Law Enforcement Suicide: This Consortium convenes a group of subject matter experts to explore the current state of law enforcement suicide and develop resources for agencies and officers.
- National Suicide Awareness for Law Enforcement Officers Program (SAFLEO): Through this program, BJA provides training, technical assistance, and resources to law enforcement agencies, staff, and families, to raise awareness, smash the stigma, and reduce and prevent law enforcement suicide.
- Icebreakers: This infographic was designed to not only help you identify fellow officers who may be in crisis, but also to give you a starting point to break the ice in starting the conversation to get them help.
- Got a Minute? / While We Have You...: This poster series aims to provide resources on mental wellness issues such as depression, post-traumatic stress, substance abuse, etc.
Visit the VALOR Initiative's program's websites for additional resources.
- National Consortium on Preventing Law Enforcement Suicide Final Report (October 2020): This report outlines recommendations developed by experts in law enforcement, suicide prevention, mental health, and more to advance the profession's suicide prevention efforts and support a culture of safety and wellness.
- Officer Suicide: Understanding the Challenges and Developing a Plan of Action - An Executive Summary (July 2020): This infographic provides data on law enforcement officer suicides, including annual rates, major causes, programs to help, and more.
- Preventing Suicide Among Law Enforcement Officers: An Issue Brief (February 2020): This issue brief is intended to inform the work of the National Consortium on Preventing Law Enforcement Suicide and other stakeholders working to prevent suicide and promote mental health and wellness among law enforcement officers.
- The National Consortium on Preventing Law Enforcement Suicide (June 2019): This flyer focuses on how the Consortium will break the silence and start the conversation on how to address and prevent law enforcement suicide.