U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government, Department of Justice.

Officer Keith Kise

Columbus, Ohio Division of Police, OH

On January 27, 2015, members of the United States Marshals, Southern Ohio Fugitive Apprehension Strike Team, including Columbus Police Officer Keith A. Kise, were attempting to serve a fugitive arrest warrant. The fugitive was known to be the leader of a Columbus street gang, to be in possession of a Mac-10 submachine gun, and to have made statements that he would not go back to prison. The gang had been investigated in 2013 and 2014 for several unsolved homicides and related offenses by another federal/local multijurisdictional task force.

Officer Kise and fellow task force officers went to the front door of the residence and knocked. The female who answered was shown the fugitive’s photograph and was asked if she knew him. Upon viewing the photograph, her demeanor changed and she instantly appeared anxious and afraid.

She consented to the task force officers entering the apartment, while making quick glances up the stairs to the second floor. Officer Kise asked her if the fugitive was there. Initially she shook her head, but after being questioned again she responded that he was upstairs with her 8-year-old son. She was then escorted outside the residence by another task force officer.

Officer Kise and task force officers took position at the bottom of the stairs. Officer Kise yelled to the fugitive that he needed to come out; the fugitive responded that he would not. At the same time, task force officers heard the sound of someone upstairs trying to chamber a round into a weapon. The fugitive then fired numerous rounds down the stairs toward the officers.

Two officers immediately returned fire, but a third officer’s weapon malfunctioned. Officer Kise took over that officer’s position and assumed control of the ballistic shield. He could see the fugitive’s right hand holding the Mac-10 submachine gun and pointing it down the stairs. The fugitive fired a second volley of shots at the task force officers. This time Officer Kise also returned fire from his service weapon, shooting around the ballistic shield as he held it. The fugitive then briefly took cover behind the upstairs hallway wall.

The fugitive came back into view, slightly more exposed than before, still holding the Mac-10 submachine gun. He fired a third volley of shots at the officers. Officer Kise and a second officer returned fire. A few minutes later, Officer Kise saw a foot at the top of the stairs and stated that he thought the fugitive was down. He and a second officer decided they needed to take immediate action and advanced to overtake the fugitive so they could rescue the child from upstairs. A flash bang device was deployed and Officer Kise led the way with the ballistic shield as the officers rushed up the stairs. Once at the top of the stairs, they observed the fugitive lying on his back in the hallway with the Mac-10 submachine gun lying a short distance away. The fatally wounded fugitive was secured while Officer Kise went to look for the child. He found him uninjured.

The actions of Officer Kise demonstrate extraordinary bravery and a willingness to save the lives of others, without regard to his own personal safety.


A group of people standing together. The man in the middle is holding a Badge of Bravery award.
Today, at a ceremony hosted by the Columbus Police Academy, U.S. Senator Sherrod Brown (D-OH) and U.S. Senator Rob Portman (R-OH) presented Columbus Police Officer Keith Kise with the Law Enforcement Congressional Badge of Bravery