Through this opportunity, the Bureau of Justice Assistance is seeking applications for funding for projects designed to prevent, detect, and respond to sexual abuse and sexual harassment in confinement facilities, and to achieve and maintain compliance with the Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA) standards.
The objectives of the PREA Grant Program are to:
- Reduce sexual abuse in confinement facilities.
- Increase staff capacity for preventing sexual abuse in confinement facilities.
- Promote integration of the PREA standards into the day-to-day operations and cultures of confinement facilities.
- Identify and document innovative and promising practices in order to inform similar efforts across the nation.
- Create cultures of “zero tolerance” of sexual abuse in confinement facilities.
- City or township governments
- County governments
- Native American tribal governments (Federally recognized)
- State governments
BJA will host a webinar on April 19, 2022, at 3 p.m. ET, to provide an overview of the solicitation and share helpful information with those interested in applying for funding through the opportunity. Register to participate in the webinar.
Number of Awards: 10
Total Amount Awarded: $2,145,693
Guam FY 2022 Implementing the PREA Standards, Protecting People Who Are Incarcerated, and Safeguarding Communities
NYSDOCCS PREA Enhancement projects to further enhanced DOCCS' zero tolerance project through the provision victim-centered and trauma informed training and advanced sex crimes investigation.
The New Jersey Department of Corrections: Strengthening the PREA Shield through Education, Data and Correctional Culture Change
Grants.gov deadline changed to May 19, 2022.