- Forensic biology/DNA case: A forensic biology/DNA case that has not been completed within 30 days of receipt in the laboratory.
- DNA database sample: A DNA database sample that has not been uploaded to CODIS within 30 days of receipt in the laboratory.
- Forensic biology/DNA case: The average number of days between the submission of a request for forensic biology/DNA analysis to the laboratory and the delivery of the test results at the end of the reporting period.
- DNA database sample: The average number of days between the submission of a DNA database sample to the laboratory and the upload of the profile to CODIS at the end of the reporting period.
- Analysis request for examination in one forensic investigation area (forensic biology/DNA for CEBR reporting purposes).
- A biological sample collected from a person convicted of one or more qualifying offenses and/or arrested for one or more qualifying offenses as mandated in federal or state legislation.
- For the purpose of determining baseline national backlogs for casework laboratories, “DNA” will be considered to be biology screening (the location, screening, identification, and characterization of blood and other biological stains and substances) and/or DNA analysis (the identification and comparison of DNA in 26 biological samples). For the purpose of determining baseline national backlogs for database laboratories, “DNA” will be considered as the testing of DNA in biological samples collected from convicted offenders and/or arrestees with subsequent upload to CODIS.
- Cases and database samples that enter a laboratory with a request for analysis but are closed without analysis being completed and are either never part of the laboratory’s backlog or are removed from the backlog without analysis.
- Nelson, M.S., Chase, R., & DePalma, L. (2013). Making Sense of DNA Backlogs, 2012 – Myths vs. Reality
- NIJ Fiscal Year 2017 Funding for DNA Analysis, Capacity Enhancement, and Other Forensic Activities (April 2018)
- DOJ’s Needs Assessment of Forensic Laboratories and Medical Examiner/Coroner Offices (Dec 2019)
- Project FORESIGHT Annual Report, 2017-2018
- Project FORESIGHT Annual Report, 2016-2017
- Kurimski, L. M., Speaker, P., & Bassler, J. R. (2017). Project FORESIGHT and Return on Investment: Forensic Science Laboratories and Public Health Laboratories. Forensic Science Policy & Management: An International Journal, 8(1-2). 1 - 12.
- Speaker, P. (2015). Financial Management of Forensic Science Laboratories: Lessons from Project FORESIGHT 2011-2012, Forensic Science Policy & Management: An International Journal, 6(1-2). 7 - 29.
- Ropero-Miller, J. and Speaker, P.J. (2019). The Hidden Costs of the Opioid Crisis and the Implications for Financial Management in the Public Sector. Forensic Science International: Synergy. 1(1).