On January 14, 2002, the Charter for the Medal of Valor Review Board was signed by the Attorney General. As required by the legislation, the eleven-member board was appointed by the President, the Majority and Minority Leaders of the U.S. Senate, and the Speaker and the Minority Leader of the U.S. House of Representatives.
The board, which comprises representatives of the public safety community and the general public, reviews the nominations and recommends individuals for recognition.
Click on a name below to read the professional profiles of these individuals.
Medal of Valor Board Members
- Presidential appointment: Firefighting appointee – pending
- Presidential appointment: Law Enforcement appointee – Special Agent in Charge Robert Engel, United States Secret Service
- President appointment: Emergency Services appointee – Peter Lamelas MD, MBA
- Senate Majority Leader appointment: Sheriff Berl Perdue Jr., Clark County Sheriff's Department, KY
- Senate Majority appointment: vacant
- Senate Minority Leader appointment: Mr. Joseph Fox, (Chief, NYPD retired) New York, NY
- Senate Minority appointment: Mr. Trevor S. Whipple (Board Chair/Chief Burlington PD, retired), consultant at the Vermont League of Cities and Towns
- Speaker of the House appointment: Chief Brandon Clabes, Midwest City Police Department, OK
- Speaker of the House appointment: Mr. Brian Murphy, (Lieutenant, retired), Oak Creek Police Department, WI
- House Minority appointment: Chief Brian Fengel, Bartonville Police Department, IL
- House Minority appointment: pending